In the United States, the National Turkey Federation estimates that over 46 million turkeys are consumed at Thanksgiving, more than double the 22 million consumed at Christmas. Lots of great numbers from the NTF can be found here. Here’s a few:
- The first Thanksgiving took place in 1621
- Thanksgiving became a national holiday in 1863
- Nearly 88% of Americans eat turkey at Thanksgiving
- Approximately 736 million pounds of turkey are consumed at Thanksgiving
- Turkey is listed among the top 10 foods for your eyes because it’s rich in zinc
- Wild turkeys can run up to 20 miles per hour
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!